Local artist and skater Joel Figueroa has been a godsend to the local skater community around ChutingStar in more ways than one.
Joel has become a fixture at ChutingStar over the past two years, frequently lending a helping hand behind the camera during the Best Trick Sunday Contests. He also has been a mentor to local kids needing an outlet to skate.
"That place (ChutingStar Skate Park) has been a lifesaver for me when the weather is nasty or when I didn't want to venture too far away from home," says Joel. "I have been taking kids from some poor areas to different skate spots and parks for the last seven years. Helping them out with boards when I can since some of their parents cant afford to. There have been days when ChutingStar was the only place I could afford to take them to so its nice to have an outlet for them so close. Without skateboarding none of these moments would have been experienced by these kids."
Also known for his artist skills, ChutingStar approached Joel earlier this year about designing a signature deck.
"I have always been the artist in the family," says Joel, who studied graphic design after high school. "I started drawing very early...was 8 or 9 at the time."
This piece as done last year at his home. The Eagle symbolizes freedom, while the Dragon symbolizes wisdom. The new ChutingStar x Joel C. Eagle Dragon Deck is available in sizes from 7.5 to 9.0 at this link. Getcha one to show your support for Joel, his artistic talent and his heart for skateboarding.
The scoop on Joel Figueroa...
- Age, 36
- Hometown, Marietta
- Originally from Puerto Rico
- Full name, Jesus Joel Colõn-Figueroa
- What do you love to do most on a skateboard? If there was a beach here, I'd say just push around the boardwalk and have a few beers.
- Why do you skate? I love to challenge myself, but mostly because the people I get to meet and places I get to go.
- Where to you work? I work for Artisan Custom Closets here in Marietta GA.
- Any art shows you are a part of? No, but anyone interested in viewing my art or needing my services can e-mail me at email@example.com.
"Those who know me know I'm not one to brag or talk about myself," notes Joel. "But if you don't know me, say hello if you see me around."