FlySight is not your mother's GPS. FlySight was designed by Bionic Avionics Inc. from the ground up for wingsuit and canopy pilots and does one truly revolutionary thing:
FlySight provides real-time audible indication of glide ratio, horizontal or vertical speed.
If you've used other GPS receivers, you know the drill. When you land, you review data from the jump. If you're lucky, or if you've planned a very simple jump, you might remember what you were doing when your glide ratio maxed out. On the next jump, you try to do it again.
FlySight speeds the learning process.
When you change your body position, you instantly hear a change in the tone. Your brain easily connects this feedback with your precise body position, making it astonishingly easy to remember what worked and what didn't.
FlySight handles the dynamics of freefall exceptionally well. FlySight can be turned on a few minutes before exit, and begins providing audible feedback immediately after exit.
"I highly recommend the FlySight," says Jeff Nebelkopf, Chief Wingsuit Test Pilot for Tony Suits. "It is a great training tool and logs 5 points per second. Like any GPS there is about a 1 second lag time. Once you do a few jumps with it your glide ratio or speed should improve."
It's also proven be a great tool for canopy swoopers.
“The 5Hz sample rate, accuracy, and small size have made the FlySight an effective tool for swoop training," says competitive canopy pilot Dan Raymond. "I use it to track key performance metrics and to generate a detailed 3D view of the entire swoop.”
Note: The FlySight Audible GPS can only be heard with a pair of stereo headphones (not included).
See the FlySight Aluminum Mount available from ChutingStar.com for a secure external mounting option.
- The FlySight Viewer is a simple utility which produces plots of your logged jumps. Data can be imported from FlySight CSV or NMEA files produced by most GPS receivers.
Plots can include one or two parameters on the vertical axis, including:
- Glide ratio
- Horizontal speed
- Vertical speed
The horizontal axis may be either time or distance. This allows the user to measure how much forward movement is achieved in a given vertical drop.
Finally, the Flysight Viewer can export data as FlySight CSV or NMEA files, or as KML files which can be loaded into Google Earth.
Download requires Mac OS 10.5
Tom van Dijck's FlySight Viewer for Windows adds a Google Maps view and basic logging functionality:
Download requires Windows XP, Vista, or 7
- If you are looking for a more full-featured package, we strongly recommend Paralog, which is available separately through ChutingStar.com.
- Data from FlySight can be imported into Paralog, where it becomes part of a comprehensive logbook, including jump details, photos, video, and more.
- As well as producing 2D plots from logged data, Paralog can also produce 3D jump profiles, as shown in the screenshot to the right.
FlySight Audible GPS Features:
- u-blox 6 chipset
- 5 Hz update and logging
- Real-time audible feedback
- 1 s
- 28 s
- 28 s
- 2.5 m (autonomous)
- 2.0 m (SBAS)
- 0.1 m/s
- 512 MB microSD card included
- One million seconds of logged data at 5 Hz
- Data and configuration accessed via USB flash drive
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-polymer battery
- Charging time: 1.5 hours
- Operating time: 2.5 to 3.5 hours
- 3.5 mm stereo headphone jack
- Requires a pair of stereo earphones (not included)
- 50 mm (2.0 inches)
- 50 mm (2.0 inches)
- 15 mm (0.6 inches)
- less than 50 g
- FlySight GPS receiver
- 512 MB microSD card installed
- Mini USB data/charging cable
Every current FlySight is capable of 10 Hz. The stock firmware doesn’t currently support the full 10 Hz rate, but there is a “beta” firmware available which offers both 10 Hz and speech modes. The firmware and update instructions are available at this link. The new firmware is in “beta” mode but is freely available until the manufacturer is able to include the new firmware in new units as well as make it available to all Flysight users as true firmware upgrade.
|Alarm Type||Freefall alarms only|
|Feet or Meters||No|
|Protective Case Available||No|
|Night Jump Glow||No|